Step 1: Before you Begin
- Make certain the ISP had already provided DSL Broadband Service (PPPoE) to you.
- Please connect the router to the computer which used to connect directly to your modem.
- Only use the Ethernet port on the modem. If you were using the
USB connection before using the router, disconnect the USB cable and
connect an Ethernet cable to the WAN port of the router.
- Make certain that you had disabled or uninstalled other
third part PPPoE dialing up software such as WinPoet, Broadjump, or
Enternet 300 from your computer, otherwise you will not be able to
connect to the Internet. Some ISPs also provide similar PPPoE dialing
Note: Before connect the router to your modem, make certain that the DSL modem work on Bridge mode, but not work on router modem.
Step 2 Connect your Network
1. Turn off your DSL modem, router and computer.
2. Connect the WAN port of the router to the LAN port of your DSL modem with Ethernet cable.
3. Connect the phone line (DSL Line) to the Line port of your DSL modem.
4. Connect your computer to one LAN port of your TP-LINK router.
Step 3 Configure TP-LINK Router
1. Power on your router and computer. Open the web browser and
type the LAN IP address of the router in the address bar (default is
192.168.1.1). Press [Enter] key.
2. Type the username and password in the login window (the default username and password both are admin), then click OK.
3. Click Network->WAN on the left side, change the WAN Connection Type to PPPoE.
4. Enter your PPPoE username and password which are provided by your ISP.
If you want to connect to Internet automatically, please change Wan Connection Mode to Connect Automatically, which supports your router always connect to the Internet even if it’s not in use.
5. Click Save to save your settings, then the router will connect to Internet after a while.
Step 4 Wireless Setting
Step 5 Power Cycle
After done the configurations, you’d better do a Power Cycle, it will make your network work more stable.
1. Turn the cable modem off firstly, then turn your router and computer off, and leave them off for about 2 minutes;
2. Turn the cable modem on firstly, and wait till the modem works stable (All LED lights work normally).
3. Turn the router on and wait about 1 minute, and then power on your computer.
4. Repeat the steps 1-3 above until you connect to the Internet.